Viv Warren and Mary Yardley are qualified librarians with many years' experience of working with children and young people in schools, in Schools Library Services and in public libraries. Mary and Viv became colleagues whilst working for East Sussex County Council, when Viv was Head of Library Services to Children and Young People and Mary, Head of Information Management.
Viv is now retired but keeps in touch - she is on the governing board of several schools and is chair of governors at an "outstanding" nursery school in Brighton. She delivers occasional book-related courses and has acted as co-ordinator for Family Learning events. Mary is currently working for Dorset Schools Library Service.
Viv and Mary took over, from Norah Irvin, as joint editors for the 3rd edition of the book Who Next...? a guide to children's authors, and went on to edit the 4th publication from which this online version was developed.
The publisher at Loughborough University, LISU, is very grateful to the editors, past and present, for their continued hard work and commitment this site and, as always, thanks are extended to all the advisers who have in the past and present assist the editors in the compilation of this guide.
LISU is also indebted to Rock Kitchen Harris for creating, developing and supporting this website.
The publisher would like to express gratitude to Sharon Fletcher for her enthusiasm and commitment to this online resource and to Helen Greenwood for her guidance and leadership. Mary Ashworth is also thanked for her past dedication to Who Next.
A personal note from the editors
As always we owe a debt of gratitude to many people without whose help this guide could not have been compiled.
Contributors who deserve a special measure of thanks are Dorset Schools Library Service; Karen Horsfield of Somerset Schools Library Service; Anna Morgan of "Bags of Books" bookshop, Lewes, East Sussex; Grace Ryan; and Dorne Fraser of Norfolk Library and Information Service.
The ideas and imagination of the many people who have contributed, help to give this guide a wider scope and relevance, and we would like to acknowledge how difficult it is to find time to help with projects like ours with all the pressures there are in the workplace today.
- Eileen Armstrong, Cramlington High School, Northumberland
- Sally Ballard, Ranelagh School, Bracknell
- Barbara Band, The Emmbrook School, Wokingham
- Liz Broekmann and her team, Slough Library Service
- Judy Cardnell, Colfe's School, Greenwich
- Gill Clipsham, Buckinghamshire Libraries and Heritage
- Paul Cunningham and SLS team, Suffolk Libraries and Heritage
- Jill Currie, Plymouth Library Services
- Caroline Fielding, Blackheath Bluecoats C of E Secondary School
- Ellie Frost, Blessed Thomas Holford Catholic College, Altrincham
- Mel Gibson, Senior Lecturer in Childhood Studies, and Trainer & Historian - Comics & Visual Literacies, Northumbria University
- Lynne Hamer, Bath and North East Somerset Libraries
- Susan Heyes and her teams, West Sussex Library Service
- Gavin McQueen, London Borough of Richmond upon Thames
- Judy Ottoway
- Tracey Paddon, Newport Central Library
- Greta Paterson, East Sussex Library Service
- Angela Robinson, Blackburn with Darwen Library Service
- Linda Tomalin, Leicestershire Libraries
- Helen Towers, Hertfordshire Library Service
- Laurel van Dommelen, London Borough of Enfield Library Service
- Jo Wesson, Stoney Dean School, Amersham
- Sue Yockney, Dorest Schools Library Service
As always we are grateful to our publishers, LISU, at Loughborough University, and in particular to Mary Ashworth and Sharon Fletcher, who have guided us with unfailing patience.